SEND – Your Questions Answered

Your Questions Answered:

What should I do if I am concerned about my child’s progress or special educational needs?

  • Contact the class teacher and discuss your concerns.
  • Speak to the SENCO who will advise you of strategies we will put in place and keep the head informed.

How does the school decide whether a child has special education needs and what extra help they need?

  • When a child comes with already identified SEND, a review of provision is made with the parents. Support is put in place.
  • Progress is reviewed termly for all children with a focus on support and its effectiveness.
  • If extra support is needed then this is identified and put in place as soon as is possible.
  • If a parent identifies a need, the school will liaise with the parent to identify the best way to support the pupil and help them to move forward.

The graduated approach to identifying and meeting the needs of pupils with SEND is used.

How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • Parents are invited to talk to the class teacher and support teachers every term. Children with SEND have the opportunity to have a longer structured conversation where they can raise any issues or concerns and find out from school staff how their child is doing in school. Termly targets are set and reviewed.
  • Parents may be invited into school at other times to come to meetings with specialists.
  • Parents are welcome to drop into the school in the afternoon to talk to the class teacher or SENCO.
  • Pupils with a Statement or an Education Health Care Plans (EHCP) have an annual review once per year in addition to termly meetings. Parents and teachers use these meetings to review the progress and attainment of the pupil and discuss ways to continue development.

How will my child be involved and consulted?

  • Children have termly targets shared with them and have a say in what these might be.
  • The children are involved in reviewing these.
  • Their views are sought.
  • The children are invited to attend parts of the meetings to give their views.

Children provide comments on their progress which are recorded on their termly SEN Support Records.

How do you assess and review my child’s progress?

  • Children are assessed through teacher assessment against a range of criteria.
  • They are assessed regularly and formally every term.
  • Pupil progress meetings are held every term with all teachers involved in the year group and the head teacher.
  • Moderation sessions are timetabled into staff meetings to ensure a parity of assessment understanding.
  • Termly reviews for all pupils with SEND.
  • Annual review for children with ECHPs (statements) with all professionals involved.

How is teaching and the curriculum adapted to my child’s needs?

Every class teacher is committed to providing quality first teaching. Staff adapt resources and approaches according to the needs of the pupils. Teachers are expected to differentiate and provide challenge and support to enable all children to make good progress. At Furzedown we have a 3 teacher per year group model, so we can differentiate and set the curriculum even more specifically to meet individual needs. Each class has at least 1 dedicated Learning Assistant to help.

We have a range of interventions and specialists who are able to deliver tailor made programmes for the children.

These include:

  • Speech and Language assistant who has been trained by the speech and language therapist, and conducts sessions focusing on the targets set.
  • Occupational therapy assistant that has been trained to work on children’s handwriting, fine/gross motor and sensory skills.
  • Learning mentors, one of whom is trained to deliver Therapeutic Play. Both work with children supporting them with their social, emotional and mental health.
  • Dyslexia specialist teacher from the Wandsworth Literacy Support service.

Interventions we use include Chatterbox, Talking partners (Talking at Primary School), Bearing away, Phonics setting, Maths setting, Communication Leaders, Art Therapy and Homework Support.

What support is there for my child’s emotional well-being?

  • Our staff are regularly trained and updated.
  • PSHE is timetabled in every class every week. We use the SEAL material alongside our own scheme of work
  • Assemblies are themed and delivered daily each covering a PSCHE theme.
  • Year 6 children take on the responsibility of supporting any children who may be upset in the playground( Bully Buddies)
  • There is a group of year 6 children who have the responsibility for making sure every- one has something to do in the playground (playground friends)
  • There is a variety of clubs during lunchtime and after school.
  • We have two qualified Learning Mentors, one of whom is a qualified therapeutic play specialist. They work with and support children with personal, social and emotional needs.

How do you promote positive behaviour?

  • The wide variety of clubs, activities, adults in class mean that children have the opportunity to use playtimes positively. Our learning mentor is on hand for any problems that may arise.
  • Good news certificates are given out weekly in assemblies.

What training and specialist skills do the staff supporting children with SEND have or are having?

  • Staff are receive regular SEN training according to the need in their class or the school. The training this year has included Dyslexia, ADHD, ASD, Emotional Literacy, Dyspraxia, Epilepsy, Catheterisation, Diabetes, Tourette’s Syndrome, Speech and Language identification, Physiotherapy and Occupational therapy support, supporting pupils with Vision impairment and Hearing impairment and Intervention training.
  • The SENCo and external specialists visit Furzedown regularly to support pupils and train staff to work effectively with individuals.
  • Staff are currently undergoing ‘Elklan’ training which enables practitioners to be more effective in their support of children with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN).

What do you do to make the school environment and curriculum accessible for all children?

  • All reasonable adjustments are made to ensure physical accessibility.
  • The school is wheelchair friendly and we have had adaptations made to allow this.
  • Walls are simple and we have organised small group spaces that allow for the needs of children with ASD. Work stations are used to help children develop focus and attention skills, as well as increased independence. Visual cues are used throughout the school, to support children with communication difficulties.
  • The school has equipment to support children with motor control needs.
  • Pupils are provided with equipment, such as move ‘n’ sit cushions, fidget devices, specially adapted stationery and lamps for visually impaired pupils to enable them to access the lessons.
  • ICT equipment is updated regularly with adaptations for SEND pupils where necessary. These include ‘Clicker 7’, ‘Speaking’ pens and recording devices for children with literacy difficulties and ‘Wet, Dry Try’ handwriting programmes.
  • Every class room has a ‘Soundfield’ system installed.
  • We have a sensory ‘Dark Den’ used as a relaxing, quiet space for children.

How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom?

  • Risk assessments are undertaken to ascertain how best to include SEND children.
  • Every pupil can access the full range of after school clubs and trips that are available.

How will the school prepare my child to join the school or transfer to a new school?

If your child is joining our school in nursery or reception we will allocate a key worker, visit you and your child at home. Invite you in for a familiarisation visit.

If your child is moving to another school or is in year 6 we will liaise with the secondary schools, have regular PSHE sessions about change, handover meetings with accepting schools
When moving classes in school the children have the opportunity to meet the new teacher.

Teachers have a hand over meeting.

What specialist services from outside does the school use to help meet children’s needs and how do you work together?

  • Speech and Language service
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Educational Psychology
  • Clinical Psychology
  • Social services
  • Garratt park ASD service
  • Hearing impaired services
  • Visually impaired services.
  • Early years advice centre
  • Welcare
  • Parent Gym
  • Education Welfare Service
  • School Nursing service.
  • Greenmead Outreach service.

What will you do if my child has medical needs?

  • Get advice and consult with relevant medical professionals, who will put a care plan in place.
  • The school has trained first-aiders.

What should I do if I am unhappy with my child’s support or progress?

Where can I go for further advice and support?

  • Contact a Family – Independent Support Contact a Family Wandsworth (CaF) provide impartial, free and confidential , Independent Support services to provide information and support for Wandsworth families who are going through the process of getting an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment.  To book an appointment with an Independent Support worker telephone 020 8947 5260 or email

More information about Wandsworth’s local offer of services and support for children and young people with special needs and disabilities in Wandsworth can be found on the Local Offer website at . The Family Information Service (FIS) helpline is open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on 020 8871 7899. Or email  Text  07797 805 456 with “FIS” at the beginning of your message.


Feedback This offer is intended to give you clear, accurate and accessible information. If you would like to comment on the content of the offer or make suggestions to improve the information, please email name of person to for the attention of Maria Chappell.