Welcome to Year 2Cannot get other user media. API shut down by Instagram. Sorry. Display only your media.
In Year 1 our staff are:
- 2S – Ms Smith, TA support – Mrs Tatham
- 2A – Mrs Synge, TA support – Mrs Wahab
- Third Teacher – Mrs Lound
Daily lessons include English and Maths.
Weekly lessons include Science, Computing, History/Geography, R.E, Art and Music.
Homework is given out on Wednesday, spellings on Monday and should be returned on Monday. If your child does not understand the homework, please ask them to talk with the teacher who set the homework prior to the giving in day.
Please make sure your child has their swimming kit on Monday.
Please make sure your child has a suitable P.E kit in school on Thursday (indoor)and Friday (outdoor). The kit needs to consist of a T-shirt, shorts and plimsolls or trainers. Track suits or a warm top needed for colder weather.
All children need a named water bottle to keep in the classroom.
Teachers continue to focus on establishing pupils’ accurate and speedy word reading skills. Phonics lessons continue on a daily basis for all pupils in the first two terms. Pupils read, listen to and discuss a wide range of stories, poems, plays and information books. Guided reading is taught daily and shared reading is incorporated into English lessons. The focus is on increasing the pupils’ vocabulary and comprehension skills.
Reading books will be changed by the children themselves on a regular basis, they will read in a guided reading group with the class teacher once a week. They will also read with the Teaching Assistants too.
Speaking and listening activities as well as drama play an important role in preparing the children to write in Year 2. Pupils are taught to orally encapsulate what they want to write, draft and reread to check what they write makes sense. Sentence composition, vocabulary, grammar and punctuation are taught using a range of fiction and non-fiction text types including;
- Traditional tales from other cultures
- Non chronological report
- Adventure story
- Newspaper article
Handwriting. Pupils are taught to:
- Form lower-case letters of the correct size relative to one another
- Start using some of the diagonal and horizontal strokes needed to join letters and understand which letters, when adjacent to one another, are best left unjoined
- Write capital letters and digits of the correct size, orientation and relationship to one another and to lower case letters
- Use spacing between words that reflects the size of the letters.
Teachers in Year 2 build on the mathematical content taught in Year 1. Our approach is practical and the children use a variety of concrete apparatus including dienes, Cuisenaire rods, bead strings and multi link cubes to help them understand key mathematical concepts.
Year 2 study the following topics:
- Number – Place value, counting, ordering and comparing
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication and division
- Real life problems – Money and Time
- Geometry – Properties of 2D and 3D shape, position and direction.
- Data handling and statistics
The children practise and develop oral and mental maths skills on a daily basis. Reasoning and explaining their mathematical thinking is a focus in Year 2.
In Year 2 pupils are helped to develop their understanding of scientific ideas by using different types of scientific enquiry to answer questions, including observing changes over a period of time, noticing patterns, grouping and classifying things, carrying out simple comparative tests, and finding things out using secondary sources of information. Pupils begin to use simple scientific language to talk about and record what they have found out. Lots of our learning in Science is done through the use of first-hand practical experiences, but there is also be some use of secondary sources, such as books, photographs and videos.
Year 2 cover the following subjects:
- Uses of everyday materials
- Living things and their habitats
- Animals including humans
If you have any questions or concerns, please, in the first instance approach your child’s class teacher.
Thank you for your ongoing support,
The Year 2 Team
Maths Presentation 2016