Welcome to Year 4Cannot get other user media. API shut down by Instagram. Sorry. Display only your media.
In Year 4 our staff are:
- 4B – Mrs Van Den Berg, TA support – Mr Heffernan – Mrs Jamieson
- 4W – Mrs Ward, TA support – Mrs Khawaja
- Third Teacher – Mrs Twycross
Daily lessons include English and Maths.
Weekly lessons include Science, Computing, French, PSHE, History/Geography, R.E, Art and Music.
Homework is given out on Thursday and should be returned on Tuesday. If your child does not understand the homework, please ask them to talk with the teacher who set the homework prior to the giving in day.
Please make sure your child has their swimming kit on Monday.
Please make sure your child has a suitable P.E kit in school on Wednesday (indoor) and Tuesday (outdoor), (Please be aware that the PE may need to be changed at short notice). The kit needs to consist of a T-shirt, shorts and plimsolls or trainers. Track suits or a warm top needed for colder weather.
All children need a named water bottle to keep in the classroom.
Violins lessons are on Thursday.
Year 4 study the following topics:
- Stories from other cultures
- Adventure stories
- Newspaper articles
- Stories set in an imaginary world
- Non-Chronological reports
- Classic narrative
- Stories with historical settings
- Explanation texts
- Story in the style of a significant author
- Letter writing
The children complete work each week relating to comprehension, writing, grammar and spelling. The children also take part in daily guided reading activities and have other opportunities to take part in shared reading sessions. The children are given spellings to learn each week.
Reading books will be changed by the children themselves on a regular basis, they will read in a guided reading group with the class teacher once a week. They will also read with the Teaching Assistants too.
Year 4 study the following topics:
- Place value – negative numbers, ordering, rounding, comparing numbers and reading Roman numerals to 100
- Addition and subtraction – estimate, inverse and using the formal written methods including two step problems
- Multiplication and Division – recall multiplication and division fact for multiplication tables up to 12 x 12. Find factor pairs and multiplying two digit and three digit numbers by a one digit number using formal written layout.
- Fractions – families of common equivalent fractions, add and subtract fractions, count up and down in hundredths.
- Decimals – compare numbers up to 2 decimal places, rounding decimals, diving by 10 and 100 and finding decimal equivalents of any number of tenths or hundreds.
- Money – solve simple measure and money problems involving fractions.
- Measure – convert, estimate, compare and calculate different measures, including money in pounds and penc Measure and calculate the perimeter & area
- Time – reading and converting analogue, digital and units of time.
- Geometry – compare and classify geometric shapes. Identify, compare and order angles. Identify lines of symmetry in 2-D shapes and complete a simple symmetric figure
- Coordinates – describe positions on a 2-D grid, describe movements between positions and plot specified points
- Handling data – interpret and present data. solve comparison, sum and difference problems using information presented
The children practise and develop oral and mental skills on a daily basis. It is very important that the children practise their times tables every day.
Year 4 study the following subjects:
- States of Matter
- Living things and their habitats
- Animals including humans
If you have any questions or concerns, please, in the first instance approach your child’s class teacher.
Thank you for your ongoing support,
The Year 4 Team
Maths Presentation 2016