In Year 5 our staff are:
- 5C – Ms Heywood, and Ms Drew. TA support– Mrs Bas-Romaniuk
- 5S – Ms Campbell, TA support – Ms Yates
Daily lessons include English and Maths.
Weekly lessons include Science, Computing, French, PSHE, History/Geography, R.E, Art and Music.
Homework is set on Friday.
This will be weekly spellings and times tables to practise (tested on Tuesday), plus a learning conversation, related to the work they have been doing in class, to discuss at home. Sometimes there will be a research task. If your child does not understand any of the homework, please ask them to talk with the teacher who set the homework.
At present there will be no swimming this term.
Please make sure your child wears suitable clothes for outdoor games on Wednesday. They will not be changing for PE. They will also have a DPA (Daily Physical Activity) during the day so please make sure they are in suitable clothes and footwear for this.
All children need a named water bottle to keep in the classroom.
- Science Fiction
- Non-chronological reports
- Persuasive writing
- Writing in role/diaries/recounts
- Journalistic writing
The children complete work each week relating to comprehension, writing, grammar and spelling.
Reading books will be changed on a regular basis and the children will keep an individual record in school. The children have other opportunities to take part in shared, independent and guided reading sessions throughout the week and as part of lessons.
Year 5 study the following topics:
- Place value, ordering and rounding
- Understanding addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Money and ‘real life’ problems
- Fractions, decimals and percentages
- Handling data
- Measures including problems
- Shape and space
- Number sequences
The children practise and develop oral and mental skills on a daily basis. It is very important that the children practise their times tables weekly.
Year 5 study the following subjects:
- Living things and their habitat
- Properties and changes of materials
- Earth and Space
- Animals including humans